What is community and service?
As an MYP school, we ask students to take an active role in their community, there by encouraging responsible citizenship. IB learners strive to be caring members of the community who demonstrate a commitment to service—making a positive difference to the lives of others and the environment. Students are encouraged to participate in service both inside and outside of school.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ideas & Suggestions:
For ideas and suggestions on how to find a community service project that fits your schedule, visit:
Other helpful links:
Community Service ideas
• Sign up to volunteer at your local library
• Go to your local elementary school and ask about upcoming events (eg. science fair, math night, carnival)
• Help out your former elementary school teachers with grading tests, making copies, filing work
• Sign up to be a volunteer at THPRD
• Ask around your neighborhood and see if anyone needs help
• Pick up the trash in your neighborhood park
• Read to younger kids at your local school, day care, etc.
• Pull weeds and ivy (check out [ http://www.solv.org ]www.solv.org)
• Help out at a retirement center, spend some time with the elderly
• Teach someone to use technology applications
• Design and maintain a webpage for a non-profit organization
• Babysit for a family that needs some help (at NO cost or it doesn't count)
• Sign up to work a shift at the Oregon Food Bank or Sunshine Pantry
• Attend a community event and help set up
• Organize a drive for local schools or family shelters